By Paul Song, Help Desk – IT/IS
Isn’t it crazy how reliant and dependent we are on our phones? Well, no one can blame us, because phone (and communication) technology has improved substantially in the past 10 years. Smart phones make things so much more convenient (and people more lazy).
Here’s some extra convenience, in case you are ever out of the office or home and don’t have access to a computer. You can use remote desktop from your smart phone! Well, assuming that you have cellular data access or a Wi-Fi connection. We all find Remote Desktop Connection to be significantly beneficial, so hopefully this makes things easier for you to work.
For Apple users (iPhones, iPads) and Droid users:
- Open up the App Store (Apple) or Google Play (Droid)
- Search/download “Microsoft Remote Desktop” and install it. It’s free, so don’t worry.
- After the installation is completed, open up the App. At the top right corner, tap the “+” sign.
- Now tap “Add PC or Server”.
- Tap “PC Name” and put in: desktop.halekipa.org
- Tap “User Name” and choose “Add User Account” and put in: halekipa\yourusername (keep in mind which way the slash is facing). My name is Paul Song so in my case, I would put “psong” as my username (halekipa\psong). Add your password and make sure it is accurate! Now tap “Save” in the top right corner.
- That’s it! Now just tap the icon that says “desktop.halekipa.org” and you can remote connect to the Hale Kipa network. Don’t forget to log out when you’re done (through the Start Menu in Remote Desktop).
- To “left-click”, move the mouse cursor over the designated object and tap anywhere on the screen once. To “right-click”, use two fingers simultaneously to tap. To show/hide the keyboard, tap the keyboard icon at the top of the screen.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions):
Q: Can anyone see what I am doing on the computer that I log in to?
A: No, even if someone turns on the monitor to a computer that you are logged in to, they won’t be able to see what you are doing.
Q: Why is my connection so laggy through the phone Remote Desktop?
A: The speed of your connection depends on your reception and service provided by your phone carrier, OR your connection to a Wi-Fi source. I recommend that you do not rely on this to do projects or anything involving long-term connections. It is just a convenient way to do quick things from everywhere you take your phone.
Q: I can’t connect. What’s wrong?
A: First, ensure that you have data access (and reception) on your smart phone OR a working W-Fi connection. If you do, then check your configurations in the Remote Desktop settings. Make sure everything is spelled accurately. To get to the connection settings, TAP ONCE and HOLD the “desktop.halekipa.org” icon for about one or two seconds. You will then see an “X” (don’t tap, as this is the delete button) and a gear icon in the bottom right (that’s the circle with spikes around it). Tap the gear icon (bottom right) and it brings you to the connection configurations, where you can check if your settings are right.
Q: I still can’t connect and this is so frustrating!!
A: Email me, or call me from a different phone, so I can walk you step by step through the process. I can only help based on availability though, which hopefully there will eventually be more of.